Here are 10 tips to help you prepare your home for the winter season:
1. Make sure your fireplace is maintained and in good condition. For example, make sure the chimney is swept, and if your fireplace has gas logs, make sure the pilot light is lit.
2. Make sure your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries.
3. Make sure the home is sealed and caulked. If your home has a crawl space, it’s especially important that you don’t let any moisture accumulate inside it, as this can cause mold.
4. Seal any cracks in your porch, driveway, or sidewalks.
5. Clean and clear your gutters. If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, it’s important that water is able to flow clearly through your gutters.
6. Get your furnace professionally inspected. Don’t wait until winter to do this, because many heating and cooling companies get backed up during this time.
7. Change the filters on your furnace and/or humidifiers.
8. Winterize your sprinkler system. If you’re unfamiliar with how to do this, you can always call a professional.
9. Detach any outside hoses and drain your spigots.
10. Place insulated caps over your spigot heads.
If you have any questions about these tips or any other real estate needs at all, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I’d love to help you.